Sunday, June 26, 2011

Maddur Vade

Maddur vade always reminds me of journey between Mysore and Bangalore. I used to make sure that I should have this yummylicious 'vades' in Maddur only. Before marriage I travelled to Bangalore once in a while. After marriage it was almost every weekend affair. I used to relish this 'Vades' every weekend. Staying in US I am missing all that  fun. So thought why not prepare in my kitchen and relish it to the chore. Today there was a pool party in our apartment community.  The Community staff  had ordered Indian food (as Indians are dominating in this community). I had thought will have little late lunch there, but to my  dissappointment there was only one option for vegetarians, it was just a rice with brocolli and chilli sauce and gulab jamun. Couldn't have lunch there....came back home evening. I wasn't feeling to have any heavy food . Just then "MADDUR VADE" came to my mind.  I prepared it, while preparing I thought will take a photo of it and upload in FB...Friends started asking for recipe...for one friend I told her over the chat itself.....but then few more friends started asking.....Hubby said "Why can't u start ur blog??". Since few months he has been encouraging me to start one......but I was too lazy to start. So decided will start one today itself. So the cooking blog  "PG's Kitchen" emerged.
I think enough of beating around the bush. Here is the recipe for yummylicious Maddur Vade





Ingredients
Upma rava - 1 cup
Rice flour - 3/4 cup
All purpose flour- 3/4 cup
Salt to taste
Chopped onions - 1.5 or 2 cup (if u r onion lover like me add 2 cups)
Grated ginger - 1 tbsp (optional )
Chopped curry leaves - 1/4 cup
Finely chopped green chili - around 8-10 (I added around 20 becoz I like spicy)
Oil - 1/4 cup (for dough)
Oil -for deep frying

Method

Dry roast upma rava until raw smell goes away. Rava shouldn't change color. When it is cooled add rice flour, all purpose flour and salt and then mix well. Heat 1/4 cup of oil. Add this hot oil to the flour mixture. Rub with fingers untill oil is well coated to the flour. Later add chopped onions, green chili, grated ginger (if adding),chopped curry leaves. Mix well. Add very little water and make a very tight dough. Make lemon sized ball (or bigger for bigger vade), press it on hand/plastic sheet and deep fry in hot oil. Fry till golden brown. Serve with coconut chutney. This 'vades' can be stored for 2-3 days (it should be well fried).
These vadas go well for picnics, evening snacks or simply prepare this and get cosy on the couch and relish while watching a movie (this is the way I like it)
Happy cooking. 

9 comments:

  1. Welcome!!!!Pretty good theme.All the best dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job!!!...expecting many more recipes... keep up the momentum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see one of us took the initiative to start their blog. Congratulations. I am sure it will have a great following since all ur recipes are perfect and ur food delicious.
    Luv
    Aarti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you started to blog,expecting more recipes!:)
    Maddure vade looks so perfect,cant wait to try.
    Thankyou
    -Shruthi,Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work friend.....Expecting more yummlicious recipes....

    ReplyDelete
  6. will try this. y dont u send thsi to kritis kitchen event.

    http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/08/announcing-serve-it-series-serve-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the entry Praveena! Looks super appetizing... I remember having this but never tried making myself..

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow ! love this ! yes, remember the Bangalore - Mysore route where Maddur Vadas was a must have !

    Cheers
    Kalyani
    Event: healthy Lunchbox ideas - Carrots
    Round up of Indian Mithai Mela – Part 1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praveena,
    What better than Maddur Vade to start your blog with! Awesome.. Have never made it at home even though like you, I've relished it innumerable times during my Bangalore-Mysore train travels..

    ReplyDelete