Friday, October 14, 2011

Nuchinunde



Nuchinunde (steamed dal dumpling) is one of the traditional dish from Mysore.  It is made up of toor dal and spices, well to give a twist in taste one can add even channa dal along with toor dal. This is a low fat, high protein  dish. This can be served for breakfast with coconut chutney. Traditionally it is served with 'Majjige huli' prepared with curd and spices....but I love this with coconut chutney.

When I was young this wasn't prepared at home, I heard from my grandmother that when they were young they used to have this one. I was not so interested in this dish as I had never tasted it...later after marriage when I started cooking full fledge...I always wanted to try different variety everytime...At that time my mom had a very old recipe book from which I got the idea of this dish. So later adjusted the taste as I wanted and started preparing it. Now this is  included in favourite  list of our family....I too feel happy that I am preparing a very healthy and filling breakfast.

Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
Serves: 4
Yields: 15-16 dumplings.

Ingredients
Toor dal - 2 cups
Ginger- 1 inch
Green chilli - 8-10
Salt- to taste
Coriander leaves - 1/2 cup chopped
Dill leaves - 3/4 cup chopped (optional, can be replaced with 1/2 cup more Coriander leaves)
Onions - 1/2 cup finely chopped (optional)
Asafoetida (Hing) - 1 tsp

Method:

1. Soak toor dal for couple of hours


2. Grind the dal to coarse paste with ginger, green chilli and salt.

3. Mix in chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) , dill leaves, onions, asafoetida.
4. Make oval or round shaped dumplings.
5. Steam the dumplings in pressure cooker for 20 mins
6. Serve with coconut chutney or majjige huli.




1 comment: