Friday, July 15, 2011

Churmuri

Hi Everyone,
     Sorry sorry sorry, I couldn't post a new recipe till now. Was kind of busy (or say lazy) to post a new recipe.
Here is my another favourite snack. It is called as 'Churmuri' in Mysore. For some it looks like bhel puri. For some churmuri means just the murmura (puri).  Each place have their own style of churmuri/bhel puri. Well well well ! I can say this is Mysore style of Churmuri. Its very yummy, delicious and full of nutrition.
     When I was a kid I used to crave for 'Shettara churmuri' . Shettara churmuri is very famous in Mysore. Well I don't know his name, but he was famous as Churmuri Shettaru. Those days we never tried to make churmuri at home. Whenever we wanted we just were going there and having it (But had to wait for hrs together as many would come). When I was in college for some reason Churmuri Shettaru stopped coming (for few months). I was craving for churmuri. At that time my grandmother said, come let's try to make churmuri at home. So by getting some ideas here and there and from couple of experiments we were successfull in making perfect churmuri. Though it didn't taste as good as Shettara churmuri it was almost near to the taste. From then started preparing churmuri at home. This is my dad's favourite snack. Whenever he wants Churmuri he won't say I want to have it. Instead he will bring all the ingredients of it, by the ingredients I had to guess that he wants churmuri. Now also whenever I prepare this I miss him. I feel like going back to India and preparing him once.....When ever i visit my Parents I make sure that I do prepare Churmuri.
  Ok let me come to the recipe, it's very simple.




Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time : 0 mins
Serves: 4-5

Ingredients




for the Churmuri masala,
Coriander/Cilantro leaves - 1 cup
Chopped onions - 1/8 cup
Green chilli - 7 or 8 (according to taste)
Jeera - 1 tsp
Black pepper - 8 or 10
Salt - to taste

Grind all these into a fine paste.

Other ingredients






   
Puri/Murmura- 5-6 cups
Carrots - 2  (grated)
Onions - 1/2  cup
Chopped coriander/cilantro - 1/8 cup
Roasted peanut - 1/2 cup
Lime - 1
Oil - 1/8 cup (I used olive oil)
Churmuri masala - according to taste
Salt- if required.




In a big mixing bowl take the puri/murmura. Add chopped onions, grated carrot, chopped cilantro/coriander, churmuri masala, oil, roasted peanuts, lime juice and mix well. Taste, if required add little more salt and mix well. Serve immediately.  This can be prepared in batches. If we mix big quantity at a time, it may become soggy. Here everything is according to taste, once the masala is ready one can add ingredients according to taste. The amount of masala, carrots, onions, coriander leaves, peanuts everything can be altered according to ones taste.  If fresh raw mangoes are available it can be grated and added too. If u r asking can we add tomatoes??  I say NO. Tomatoes won't suit for this style of churmuri.









     When ever I prepare churmuri at mom's house....I put all ingredients in seperate bowl. Arrange all those on a dinning table and mix according to individual taste. So at that time my mom,dad, brother and sister used to say "Shettare nange swalpa khara jasti irli" (Shettare I want little spicy) or they will say "Shettare nange swalpa kadlebeeja jasthi irli" (Shettare I want more of peanuts). This is the way we were ordering churmuri to Churmuri Shettaru (the person who used to prepare churmuri)....so in turn my family used to say all these to tease me.....
     One who tries this recipe will definitely fall in love with this snack. Long back I had given a cookery show over Udaya tv. I had shown this recipe. I will be uploading a video of it as soon as possible.

Tips
1. Use Kurmura Surti or Kurmura Kolhapuri, as it tastes good. These two are similar to Mysore Puri/murmura.
2. Serve immediately after mixing. If not served immediately it will be soggy and chewy.

2 comments:

  1. ye Churmuri... will try it soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious!! I loved the churmuri which u made yesterday:)
    And I'll definitely try.

    ReplyDelete